lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Schetinin" <ascheti...@entopia.com>
Subject RE: Distributed Lucene..
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:18:29 GMT
Hi Samuru,

No, it is a part of a bigger project (quite small part), and nobody is
going to sell parts of it, at least for less than $X00,000 :-)

Best Regards,

Andrew Schetinin

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuru Jackson [mailto:samurujackson@googlemail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:05 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Distributed Lucene..

Do you plan to release some kind of a commerical product including an
API?

I ask because I'm evaluating different technologies for a prototype
which is part of my diploma thesis.

The problem is that I have to deal with real huge data amounts and one
machine is simply not enough to handle those amounts of data.

Lucene seems to be a good choice but it won't scale up for real big data
amounts. So I thought about expanding the indexes over several machines
in junks so that it fits into the memory of those machines.

One machine should collect the results and calculate some kind of score
out of the delivered hits from the machines.

As I'm not familiar with the concrete mechanisms of Lucene this is just
a naive thought, but I think that such a clustering mechanism could
become a killer app.