lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TooManyClauses exception in Lucene (1.4)
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:11:58 GMT
When I read LIA, I was struck by this issue, and it seemed...er...like an
easy mistake to make. Given that my impression of Lucene is that it's
extraordinarily well designed, I assume that there must be a good reason for
expanding range queries this way.

Could you point me to any explanation of *why* range queries expand this
way? And when I might *want* to use them? I guess my current thinking is
that I should never use a range query except under very specific
circumstances, and it would be helpful to me to have a clue what those
circumstances would be.

All in all, it seems that the way the expand makes range queries my last
choice rather than my first, and I'd like to know what overriding advantage
they give me in what circumstance that would make them worth the risk.

Risk, you ask? What risk? Well, I can easily imagine that whatever the
characteristics of the data you index, those characteristics could easily
change. And change in a way that makes a perfectly-running system no longer
run perfectly, leaving me scratching my head saying "it ran fine before we
added hours to the dates and just used days".

Yes, I'm paranoid about code with limits. I've spent too many days/weeks
chasing things like this down. But what do you expect from somebody who's
first jobs were programming in "C"? <G>

Thanks
Erick Erickson