lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: API for setting lock directory
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 02:37:02 GMT
This was the ooooold behaviour in Lucene.  You may want to check the ML archives to see why
the lock was moved to temp dir by default, I remember there being some discussion around that.
This might have been....2 years ago?

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Daniel Noll <daniel@nuix.com.au>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:46:41 PM
Subject: Re: API for setting lock directory

Gopikrishnan Subramani wrote:
> With Lucene 1.4.3 I used to use a different lock directory from the default
> by setting org.apache.lucene.lockdir system property. But as per
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/systemproperties.html this is not
> supported in Lucene 1.9 and above. I don't see any equivalent API for
> lockDir property though in Lucene 1.9.1. Does anyone know if using this
> system property is still supported?

Sorry if this is a bit of a side-track, but it's about locking and this
thread reminded me of it.

Would it be possible to have the lock file inside the text index
directory itself?  I'd rather have my locks right next to the actual
text index, so that even if a user is accessing it over a network it
would still lock other users from writing to it.

I guess the system property could be set right before opening the index,
but that isn't the best thread safety I could imagine.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd