lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Feinstein" <dan...@rawsugar.com>
Subject Lucene performance question
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:57:52 GMT
Hi,

My lucene index is not big (about 150M). My computer has 2G RAM but for some reason when I'm
trying to store my index
using org.apache.lucene.store.RAMDirectory it fails with java out of memory exception. Also
sometimes for the same
search query time spent on search could raise in 10-20 times. For example:

Search one behavior: run one 90 msec, run two 1647 msec, run three 87
Search two behavior: run one 2550 msec,  run two 178 msec,  run three 179
Search three behavior: run one 113 msec,  run two 2744 msec, run three 112

Could somebody explain me the behavior above. Why when my computer has a lot of RAM lucene
is not fully loaded to it?
Why I could not use RAMDirectory? Why search time is not stable?

Thanks,
Daniel