lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <TAig...@WescoDist.com>
Subject Lookup Issues
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:33:53 GMT

Howdy all,
	I am having a performance issue.  When I do a search for items,
getting more information takes a long time.
Ex. If there are 1M hits (I know, why look for that many or even allow
it, but let's say we return 1M hits).  When the user wants to see the
last 25, it takes a LONG time to return (45seconds sometimes),
eventhough it only takes a second to bring back the hits object.  I read
somewhere that the first 100 documents are stored in memory, but is
there some issue looping through end records?

Ex below would be fromHits = 990000 and toHits = 990025 so I would
return 25 records or so.

for (int i = fromHits; ((i <= toHits) && (i <= hits.length() -1)); i++)
{

	  Document doc = hits.doc(i);
	  System.out.println(doc.get("ldesc").replaceAll(" ~ ","~"));

}

Thanks all,
Tom