lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eyal <eyal.j...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Adding line count to a document
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:54:11 GMT
I think my questions wasn't clear..

Let's say I'm doing something like that (c# code, but that's not the
issue..)

TextReader reader=new StreamReader("C:\FileToIndex.txt");
Int lineCount=CountLines("C:\FileToIndex.txt"); //This ones reads the entire
file and count the number of lines

Document doc=new Document();
doc.add(Field.Text("body"),reader);
doc.add(Field.Keyword("lineCount"),lineCount);

In the above example, I'm reading the entire file twice. This could be a
100Mb file.

Now, Let's say I have a class LineCountingTextReader that counts the lines
as the file is being read. If I do the following
doc.add(Field.Text("body"),lcReader);
Then only after I call IndexWriter.AddDocument I will actually have the line
count (since only then the file will be read entirely).
I don't want to read the entire file into memory and use it for both line
counting and analyzing since it may be a very big file. So I'm wondering
what other are doing?
This is also a problem when you need to get several pieces of information
from 1 file to different fields (i.e. analyze an html file and also get the
links from it and add them to other a different field).

Thanks in advance,
Eyal