lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser behaviour ..
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:53:48 GMT
> From the user's point of view I think it will make sense to
> build a phrase query only when the quotes are found in the search string.

You make an interesting point Sergiu.  Your proposal would increase
the expressive power of the QueryParser by allowing the construction
of either phrase queries or boolean queries when multiple tokens are
produced by analysis.

The main downside is that it's not backward compatible, and without
quotes (and hence phrase queries) many older queries will produce
worse results.  I also think that a majority of the time, when
multiple tokens are produced, you do want a phrase search (or at least
a sloppy one).

Of course, the backward compatible thing can be fixed via a flag on
the query parser that defaults to the old behavior.

-Yonik