lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance and FS block size
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:34:51 GMT
On 2/12/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I understand block sizes correctly, they represent a chunk of data that the FS will
read in a single read.

The filesystem block size is just the logical size of allocation units
for the FS, and does not put any cap on the amount of data that can be
read or written to the low level device at one time (IDE drives have
logical sector sizes of 512 bytes anyway).

ext2fs and ext3fs try hard to keep files contiguous, this realizing
most of the benefits of large blocks.

A 4K block size will probably still be a little more efficient than a
1K block size for large files, but don't expect anything too dramatic.

-Yonik