lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: index merging
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:25:14 GMT
On 2/2/06, Omar Didi <odidi@cyveillance.com> wrote:
> Thanks Yonik,
> I can't set the merge factor too high because I will end up with the too many files open
problem.

Right.  I meant only for adding a lot of documents.  After a lot of
adds, then you could set the mergefactor back down to a reasonable
level and optimize the index.

> if I change this method to only check for directory.makeLock(IndexWriter.COMMIT_LOCK_NAME).isLocked();
will this tell me that a index is merging?

Yes, the commit lock will be locked when merging is going on, but you
will get some false positives because the lock is used for other
purposes.  That may still fit your need though.

-Yonik