lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: Word files & Build vs. Buy?
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:29:00 GMT
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Christiaan Fluit wrote:
> My experience is that the WordDocument class crashes on about 25% of the
> documents, i.e. it throws some sort of Exception. I've tested POI
> 2.5.1-final as well as the current code in CVS, but both produce this
> result. I even suspect the output to be 100% the same, but I haven't
> verified this.

You could try using org.apache.poi.hwpf.HWPFDocument, and getting the
range, then the paragraphs, and grab the text from each paragraph. If
there's interest, I could probably commit an extractor that does this to
poi.

(WordDocument is from the hdf package, which is older and less reliable
than the current hwpf stuff)

> Another reason I don't like this class is that it operates on an
> InputStream and internally creates a POIFSFileSystem which you cannot
> access, so that it becomes hard to extract document metadata as well
> (for which you need the PFSFS) without buffering the entire InputStream.

If you're using HWPFDocument from cvs, then you can create that from a
POIFSFileSystem.

Nick