lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Strange Problem ... Luke returns results Lucene api does not.
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:58:57 GMT

: Standard analyzer lower cases while indexing and searching.

Correct, but since the toString() of your query still has capital words in
it (like "contentNew:Wireless") you obviously didn't build this query
using the StandardAnalyzer -- IndexSearcher doesn't apply any Analyzers
for you when you search -- it's the responsability of whatever is
constructing your query (be that custom code you've written, or
QueryParser) to run the input thoguh the appropraite Analyzer.

when you paste that query into Luke, it *does* run it through the
QueryParser for you -- so the text gets analyzed and lower cased.

:
: The BooleanQuery, finalQuery.toString() in my case below is:
:
: +(+contentNew:wireless +contentNew:fm +contentNew:car
: +contentNew:transmitter) +entity:product +(name:wireless fm car
: transmitter^40.0 ((name:wireless name:fm name:car
: name:transmitter)^10.0) contentNew:wireless fm car transmitter^20.0
: (contentNew:wireless contentNew:fm contentNew:car contentNew:transmitter))
:
: OR
:
: +(+contentNew:Wireless +contentNew:fm +contentNew:car
: +contentNew:transmitter) +entity:category +(name:Wireless fm car
: transmitter^40.0 ((name:Wireless name:fm name:car name:transmitter)
: ^10.0) contentNew:Wireless fm car transmitter^20.0  (contentNew:Wireless
: contentNew:fm contentNew:car  contentNew:transmitter))
:
: work in Luke just fine. I am using the StandardAnalyzer in Luke.
:
: But when i try to execute the above boolean query via a call to
: IndexSearcher.search(finalQuery) it returns no hits.
:
: Erik Hatcher wrote:
:
: > How are you constructing your BooleanQuery and what Analyzer are you
: > using with Luke?   You have some capitalized words in your query, and
: > most analyzers would lowercase those, which may be the issue (perhaps
: > you indexed the capitalized words?).
: >
: >     Erik
: >