lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Powers" <jpow...@configureone.com>
Subject RE: fitler vs query
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:25:58 GMT
So by me building a new query instead of a filter, I'm missing this
caching part?    Seems pretty fast to me right now.   But sounds like I
should use the filter anyway.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:04 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: fitler vs query

Hoss, come on, where are you - Filters! ;)

John, filters are handy for situations where you want to run your query
multiple times against the same sub-set of your indexed documents.  For
instance, if you have Documents that span several years, and want to be
able to search individual years, you create a filter for each year,
cache it, and run the new query against the appropriate year's filter.

Look at the very first line of the very first snippet here (section
5.5.5):
  http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=filter+cache

Otis