lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Powers" <jpow...@configureone.com>
Subject RE: get results by relevance, limiting results and then sort the results by some criterion
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:53:24 GMT
I'm sure you've taken care of this, but I am curious myself:

If the 301 document only has a single term "batteries" (and thus is so
far low on the Hits), but has a price of seven cents, then the sort of
all the documents with "batteries" would put this near the top, but by
eliminating all documents above 300, this one doesn't appear in the
solution you are working for, correct?    Why is that a good thing?
It seems you would want to sort on the full document list, and then
return on the 300 top that you want the user to see.

I think I'm just curious why getting rid of some that could (in a new
sort) be of higher relevance is a good thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mufaddal Khumri [mailto:mkhumri@allegromedical.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:33 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: get results by relevance, limiting results and then sort the
results by some criterion

When I do a search for example on "batteries" i get 1200+ results. I
would like to show the user lets say 300. I can do that by only
extracting the first 300 hits (sorted by decreasing relevance by
default) and displaying those to the user.

Now on the search results page, I have a drop down box that lets the
user sort the results by price. When the user selects the "Sort by price

low to high", i would like to be able to sort the same 300 hits I got
above (sorted by decreasing relevance by default) by price.

Essentially I want to be able to sort the first 300 relevant search
results by price. (in other words I would like to be able to get search
results by relevance, limit the results and sort the results by some
criterion).

What would be a good way to do this in lucene?

-Thanks.