lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nick Vincent" <>
Subject RE: Memory problem
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:17:44 GMT
Hi Leon,
I had a similar problem when doing a test import which I believe was actually down to object
churn in parsing the data to create the Documents.  I achieved a quick fix by calling System.gc()
every thousand documents.

From: Leon Chaddock []
Sent: Wed 01/02/2006 10:21
Subject: Memory problem

Hi All,

We have a lucene index of over 10 000 000 docs at this time.
When we try and run a search we get

We have tried setting the xmx settings to 1gb but to no avail (the box has
4gb of memory available) . IS there any guidance on handling memory or has
anyone had similar problems before that could help?

Many thanks