lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: How to Configure lucene using tomcat
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:54:56 GMT

On Feb 28, 2006, at 6:53 AM, Haritha_Parvatham wrote:
> I believe that snowball uses porter stemming algorthim.

The Snowball stemmer came from Porter, yes.  There was a looser
stemming algorithm prior to Snowball though, which the
PorterStemFilter uses.

Anyway....

> Is there is any
> other alternative for snowball.Because I want stemmer which supports
> multilingualism.

Multi-lingual stemming is one of the most complex topics I've
personally come across.  It is not a generalizable thing - each
language is unique and you'd need to have the language known for each
word being stemmed.  As far as I know, this is still practically an
impossible task with existing technology.  If you come across
something good in this area, please share :)

There are other stemming algorithms, K-Stem is one I've heard of but
don't know anything about currently.

> Please help me in configuring lucene step by step in my systemI have
> downloaded lucene binaries

Best advice is to read the many articles/book and this e-mail list.

	Erik