lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mathias Lux" <m...@know-center.at>
Subject Request for feedback: CBIR for Lucene
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 08:35:54 GMT
Hi all!

I've put up some classes for storing content based MPEG-7 image
descriptors in a lucene index and querying the stored descriptors to get
"similar" images. In other words: I've put up a simple library for
content based image retrieval powered by lucene.

The performance tests are quite promising as the retrieval is based on a
linear search, but I'm afraid it is not suitable for enterprise
searching. In my opinion searches in ~ 100.000 images should be ok.

I'd appreciate feedback (as I just put it in 2 evenings :-) on:

 * How useful is the API?
 * Does it work well for use cases you imagine?
 * Is it fast enough?
 * Are the returned results useful?

Known issues: One of the three MPEG-7 descriptors (namely EdgeHistogram)
is painfully slow. I also identified the main bottlenecks, but I didn't
get around yet fixing it.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lirecbir/

hoping for feedback
- mathias