lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Searching/sorting strategy for many properties for semantic web app
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:50:02 GMT

On Feb 22, 2006, at 9:01 PM, David Pratt wrote:
> Hi Erik. Many thanks for your reply. I'll likely see if I can find
> a list to pose a couple of questions there way. I am having fun
> with Lucene since it is new to me and I am impressed with the speed
> I am getting. I am reading anything I can get hold of and trying
> different code experiments. So far, the code is fairly straight
> forward so not so concerned about this at the moment.
>
> I am really hoping to hear from experienced people like yourself
> more on strategically what to index, what sort of things it would
> be a good idea to store and what to do about a fairly large schema
> that has much metadata to offer. Also perhaps when sorting and
> filtering gets too expensive. I realize that just because the
> metadata is available doesn't necessarily mean you want to even put
> it all in an index. I think these issues are pretty general,
> however I know there are folks on this that would likely advise
> some particular path or direction because of their own experiences
> with Lucene. I would really like to hear from anyone that has been
> working with metadata particularly or anyone generally about these
> topics.

In my University job, I'm dealing with a fair bit of metadata in the
form of RDF about 19th century literature objects.  I'm indexing
basic Dublin Core data such as title and author as individual fields,
and also dropping all indexed metadata into a single searchable
field.  I've been using Kowari as the metadata store, but it also has
Lucene integration (that I've not tried myself yet).

I'm not sure what else to add as your query is a bit general.  I
think you'll find if you post more specific questions you're more
likely to get detailed responses.  General queries tend to be too
general to respond to, I find.

There really are no "best practices" with Lucene in terms of what to
index, what to store - these are all highly application dependent and
is often something I tune as the application itself evolves.

	Erik