lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Indexing speed
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:36:55 GMT
revati joshi wrote:
> hi all,
>            I just wnted to know how to increase the speed of indexing of files .
>   I tried it by using Multithreading approach but couldn't get much better performance.
>   It was same as it is in usual sequential indexing.Is there any other approach to get
better Indexing performance incase of large file structure.?

It would be better to know more about how you're currently using Lucene.
  For example, it is much faster to index many documents on a single
IndexWriter rather than to create a new IndexWriter per document.  It's
also somewhat faster to not store document text in the index.  Etc.

That said, the single parameter that can most improve things is the
number of buffered docs:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.html#setMaxBufferedDocs(int)

Try increasing this to, e.g., 50.

Doug