lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: Question to Lucene Index
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:31:30 GMT
Thomas Papke wrote:

> What is the disadvantage of doing that?

Besides being a bit awkward, it could use more RAM and time to compile
queries.  That could be because a query like "foo*" gets expanded into all the
terms from the index that begin with "foo", ORed together, like so:

"foo" OR "food" OR "fool" OR "foot" ...

I suppose it's theoretically possible that if you have millions of unique
terms that all begin with the same thing and then use that common prefix as a
query, you could notice.  I haven't noticed anything at all in my application,
which has a few million documents and ~10 million unique terms.

In other words, in practical situations I doubt there are any disadvantages.

--MDC