lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: Help with mass delete from large index
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:38:05 GMT
Greg Gershman wrote:

> No problem; this is not meant to be a regular
> operation, rather it's a (hopefully) one-time thing
> till the index can be restructured.
>
> The data is chronological in nature, deleting
> everything before a specific point in time.  The index
> is optimized, so is it possible to remove specific
> files?  I'm open to other suggestions as to how to
> approach this.

Now that it's already in 1 index, I'm afraid you can't just delete a few
files.  On the other hand, if it's only a one-time thing, reindexing with only
the docs you want shouldn't be too bad.  If you think you might ever need to
perform such a cull again, you might make several distinct indexes (one per
day, per week, per whatever) during that reindexing so the next time will be
much easier.

Good luck!

--MDC