lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Performance and FS block size
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:52:31 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> None of you mentioned yet the aspect that 4k is the memory page size
> on IA32 hardware. This in itself would favor any operations using
> multiple of this size, and penalize operations using amounts below
> this size.

For normal I/O it will rarely make any difference at all: the return
results from read(2) are copied from kernel space to user space.   Under
some rare conditions it can make a difference if the copy causes a page
fault for user-space memory, but that can happen with any buffer size.
Memory-mapped I/O does take into account the VM page size, but that's
entirely in the kernel's domain.   I believe (though I haven't checked
lately) that memory mapping does avoid the final copy, and it certainly
does avoid system calls so it has the potential to be as fast as the
undelying I/O subsystem allows it to be.   However, there are a few
pathological cases where memory-mapped I/O is slower and you have to be
very careful about the size of the file you're dealing with (unless
you're running in a 64 bit process).

As Paul Elschot mentioned, the design of Lucene is the most important
thing: it knows about locality of reference and does the right thing.

jch