lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: Performance and FS block size
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:05:07 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tested Lucene indexing/search performance with different
file system block sizes?

> I just realized one of the servers where I run a lot of Lucene indexing and searching
has an FS with blocks of only 1K in size (typically they are 4k or 8k, I believe), so I started
wondering what's better for Lucene - smaller or larger blocks?  I have a feeling 1K is too
small, although I don't know enough to back up this feeling. :(

On my system (dual Xeon with a couple 120GB S-ATA drives (not RAIDed), running
Fedora Core 3) I changed BUFFER_SIZE in storage/OutputStream.java to 4096,
achieving about 30% better performance in indexing.  The search improvement
was smaller, enough smaller that it was on order what I thought my measurement
error was.  I tried values up to 64K, but there wasn't much change on my
system after 4K.

--MDC