lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Hadfield <m...@animarc.com>
Subject Re: use Lucene to index sentences
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:39:21 GMT
Hi AJ -

Depending on your need, you could create a lucene document for each
sentence (in which case searching and returning sentences is trivial),
or create a lucene document for each of your documents, with embedded
sentence start/stop markers (as a special symbol).  or, instead of a
special symbol, you can increase the token count after each
end-of-sentence so that there is a large gap inbetween sentences -- this
will give higher scores to intra-sentence matches.

if you insert special sentence marker symbols, then you could use a span
search to guarantee that a phrase happens inside a sentence.  when a
match occurs, you can use the document's termpositionvector object to
re-create the original sentence, or alternatively, use the embedded
sentence number in lucene (perhaps symbols like "__sentence_start" and
"__sentence_num_20") to grab the original sentence from a file
containing the full text with sentence markers (perhaps xml tags:
"<sentence num=20>").

I use the techniques such as the above for a very large lucene index of
documents with embedded sentence markers.  There are various trade-offs
in terms of index size (how much info to keep in index), expected query
performance, and so on.

---marc hadfield