lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vbychkov...@i-hypergrid.com>
Subject Re: Memory problem
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:15:50 GMT
As long as you have many document in index there can many unique terms
in index.
Every 128th term(by default) is written to term info index for faster
term lookup.
This info is loaded entirely to memory when searching so this can
increase memory usage.
Note that this does not depends on number of documents in index, it
depends on number of unique terms in index.

This can be changed by setting higher value in
indexWriter.setTermIndexInterval();
Be aware of setting this value too hight because search performance will
degrade.
NOTE: this options is available only in Lucene 1.9.

Also it can depend on number of fields in document, the way you process
them (store, index, tokenize etc.)

Leon Chaddock wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a lucene index of over 10 000 000 docs at this time.
> When we try and run a search we get
>
> We have tried setting the xmx settings to 1gb but to no avail (the box
> has 4gb of memory available) . IS there any guidance on handling
> memory or has anyone had similar problems before that could help?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Leon
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pradeep Sharma"
> <pradeep@danicorp.com>