lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Vanlerberghe, Luc" <Luc.Vanlerber...@bvdep.com>
Subject RE: index merging
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 07:16:14 GMT

Luc

-----Original Message-----
From: Yonik Seeley [mailto:yseeley@gmail.com]
Sent: donderdag 2 februari 2006 22:25
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: index merging

On 2/2/06, Omar Didi <odidi@cyveillance.com> wrote:
> Thanks Yonik,
> I can't set the merge factor too high because I will end up with the
too many files open problem.

Right.  I meant only for adding a lot of documents.  After a lot of
adds, then you could set the mergefactor back down to a reasonable
level and optimize the index.

> if I change this method to only check for
directory.makeLock(IndexWriter.COMMIT_LOCK_NAME).isLocked(); will this
tell me that a index is merging?

Yes, the commit lock will be locked when merging is going on, but you
will get some false positives because the lock is used for other
purposes.  That may still fit your need though.

-Yonik