lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Bryzek.Michael" <Michael.Bry...@uwa.unitedway.org>
Subject RE: Hacking proximity search: looking for feedback
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:00:11 GMT
Our geo searches are combined with keyword searches. We previously performed all of our queries
in the database (Oracle 10g w/ interMedia for the unstructured portion) but found that it
was easier to scale search outside the database than within.

-----Original Message-----
From:	John Powers [mailto:jpowers@configureone.com]
Sent:	Tue 2/28/06 3:53 PM
To:	java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject:	RE: Hacking proximity search: looking for feedback

I don't know if this matters, but we do all of our geolocating in sql
with decent speed.   All the trig is in the query itself and then we can
limit top 5, top 10 etc for what we show.    Is the data such that you
need lucene?    Can I ask what causes it to be beyond a databases
ability?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryzek.Michael [mailto:Michael.Bryzek@uwa.unitedway.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:49 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Hacking proximity search: looking for feedback

Jeff -

This is an interesting approach. On our end, we have experimented with
two variants:

Variant 1: Use Range Query

Rather than precomputing the boolean clauses yourself, index encoded
latitude and longitude values and use a Range Query. We encode by
adding 1000 to each of the values. Note: We only deal with zip codes
in the US for which this encoding works fine, but is worth another
look if you have a broader range of coordinates.

Example: Compute the box as you describe, then encode each value and
use a RangeQuery. Using the box you provided and lucene's query
parser:

       North latitude = 47.77704
       West longitude = -122.41909
       South latitude = 47.34827
       East longitude = -122.22031

gives us this query:

latitude:[1047.34827 TO 1047.77704] AND longitude:[877.58091 TO
877.77969]

Lucene then handles expanding this query into the appropriate set of
Boolean Queries.

Variant 2: Combine the above w/ a custom scorer

For us, boxing works well to retrieve relevant documents, but our
users want those documents sorted by distance. We modified the custom
scoring class that Hatcher provides in Lucene in Action to compute the
distance between two points for only those documents which actually
match. Thus, we do our search using a Range Query, then for all
matching documents we compute an actual score that incorporates the
distance from the actual location from which the user is searching.

On our data set, we can still end up with 1000s of matching documents
after boxing. Thus, we still see a bottleneck computing the score for
even this smaller set of documents which we are still working through.

-Mike