lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: get results by relevance, limiting results and then sort the results by some criterion
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:59:38 GMT
It sounds like this is a webapp.
I'd consider playing with HTML DOM a little bit - come up with a system where I get top N
matches by relevance, store them somewhere, and then just re-sort them using users' criteria,
without going back to the Lucene index.

For instance, you could store this data inside some JavaScript arrays in the first results
page, and re-sorting inside the client (browser).  Why go all the way back to the server and
disk?

Or, if you really want to go to the server, you could come up with a mechanism where the first
set of N hits are stored some place on disk in whichever format is suitable (e.g. serialized
object on disk, XML...) and then when the user wants to re-sort the matches, go to the server,
grab the cached data, sort appropriately, and display.  Smells like ajax, if you want to play
with that.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Mufaddal Khumri <mkhumri@allegromedical.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tue 21 Feb 2006 11:33:22 AM EST
Subject: get results by relevance, limiting results and then sort the results by some criterion

When I do a search for example on "batteries" i get 1200+ results. I
would like to show the user lets say 300. I can do that by only
extracting the first 300 hits (sorted by decreasing relevance by
default) and displaying those to the user.

Now on the search results page, I have a drop down box that lets the
user sort the results by price. When the user selects the "Sort by price
low to high", i would like to be able to sort the same 300 hits I got
above (sorted by decreasing relevance by default) by price.

Essentially I want to be able to sort the first 300 relevant search
results by price. (in other words I would like to be able to get search
results by relevance, limit the results and sort the results by some
criterion).

What would be a good way to do this in lucene?

-Thanks.