lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene CPU Utilization
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:36:38 GMT
I think I answered that question just the other day.... privately...
No, there is nothing in Lucene to help you with CPU utilization.
However, if you are running this on a UNIX box of some kind, you can (re)nice the process
and thus lower its priority, giving other processes more time with the CPU.  Windows may have
something similar.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Amany Moussa <amany_moussa@yahoo.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 9:50:57 AM
Subject: Lucene CPU Utilization

Hello,

I am building a Lucene index with over a million
documents retrieved from database. I am running the
application on Unix, I am getting a 100% CPU
utilization the moment the application start.
The application creates a list of small indices in a
temp directory then merge them all in the main index
file.
Is there any way I can tune the indexing process and
reduce the CPU utilization.
Thanks much.

Amany M.