lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Performance and FS block size
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:17:58 GMT
Michael,

Actually, one more thing - you said you changed the store/BufferedIndexOutput.BUFFER_SIZE
from 1024 to 4096 and that turned out to yield the fastest indexing.  Does your FS block size
also happen to be 4k (dumpe2fs output) on that FC3 box?  If so, I wonder if this is more than
just a coincidence...

Thanks,
Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael D. Curtin <mike@curtin.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Fri 10 Feb 2006 05:05:07 PM EST
Subject: Re: Performance and FS block size

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tested Lucene indexing/search performance with different
file system block sizes?

> I just realized one of the servers where I run a lot of Lucene indexing and searching
has an FS with blocks of only 1K in size (typically they are 4k or 8k, I believe), so I started
wondering what's better for Lucene - smaller or larger blocks?  I have a feeling 1K is too
small, although I don't know enough to back up this feeling. :(

On my system (dual Xeon with a couple 120GB S-ATA drives (not RAIDed), running
Fedora Core 3) I changed BUFFER_SIZE in storage/OutputStream.java to 4096,
achieving about 30% better performance in indexing.  The search improvement
was smaller, enough smaller that it was on order what I thought my measurement
error was.  I tried values up to 64K, but there wasn't much change on my
system after 4K.

--MDC