lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Filter Field.Keyword possible?
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:40:25 GMT

On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Samuru Jackson wrote:

>> Also heed the other recommendations in LIA and don't necessarily use
>> Filters when BooleanQuery clauses will suffice.  There is overhead
>> involved in the Filter mechanism in terms of executing multiple
>> queries to build all the filters you're proposing.
>
> I'm aware of the fact that using multiple filters will result in
> performance problems. One point is that QueryFilters can be reused to
> benefit from its caching.
>
> BooleanQueries seem to do no caching except when using
> CachingWrappingFilter.

That last statement is not correct.  BooleanQuery and
CachingWrapperFilter are separate beasts.  BooleanQuery does no
caching... but then again you might not need it.  Experimentation is
the best judge of what is needed.

> Regarding ChainedFilter ... I can't find any API on the web!

It's all open source :)

Our Subversion repository starts here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/
asf/lucene/java/trunk

And ChainedFilter is here:

	<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/
miscellaneous/src/java/org/apache/lucene/misc/ChainedFilter.java>