lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Leon Chaddock" <leonchadd...@macranet.co.uk>
Subject Size + memory restrictions
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:43:29 GMT
Hi,
we are having tremendous problems building a large lucene index and querying
it.

The programmers are telling me that when the index file reaches 3.5 gb or 5
million docs the index file can no longer grow any larger.

To rectify this they have built index files in multiple directories. Now
apparently my 4gb memory is not enough to query.

Does this seem right to people or does anyone have any experience on largish
scale projects.

I am completely tearing my hair out here and dont know what to do.

Thanks

Leon
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chun Wei Ho" <cwho.work@gmail.com>
To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Suggesting refine searches with Lucene

Thanks. But I am actually looking for approaches/libraries which will
help me to come up with the suggested "refine searches".

For example I might search for "accident" on the headlines at a news
site, which would come back with lots of hits. I am looking for
something that would analyze the headlines (or some other specified
text field) of all those hits and come up with a list of refined
searches that would return a specific/considerable subset of the
results, e.g. "Traffic", "plane", "boating", etc, being frequent
occurrences of headline text in news that include "accident" in the
headlines.

I guess its a matter of finding frequently occurring subsequences with
some intelligent guessing but I was hoping that someone else better
would have already done it in a library that I could adapt.

Regards,
CW

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.