lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Thorne" <jeff_tho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Inappropriate content detection
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:56:21 GMT
I am trying to figure out whether or not Lucene is an appropriate solution
for a problem that our site faces. Our site

allows users to post their opinions on various topics. Due to various
government legislations around the world our management would like us to
scan each users post against various keywords that would indicate
inappropriate content

in the users posting. We are looking for racial slurs, profanity and attacks
against sexual orientation. Each users posting is

generally not more that a few paragraphs.

I would like to analyze each users post for various words and expressions
before publishing their post to the DB. I am reading through the Lucene in
action book and it looks as if I cannot analyze a string without first
indexing it. If this is true will indexing each post be a performance hit to
the site? I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the best way
to tackle this problem with Lucene or another api if doing so makes more
sense?

Thanks,

Jeff