lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: How does Lucene compare to Dieselpoint?
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:46:26 GMT

:    We've been using Lucene here and like it, but we've been asked to look
: into another engine also (Dieselpoint). Has anyone used both Dieselpoint and
: Lucene. Any comments. We have a lot of documents (50 million+) each document
: contains many small fields (maybe 100s). Important features we care about
: are refinements and faceted navigation. Any comments would be great.

As Chris Lu mentioned, lucene is a library for building applications, and
Dieselpoint is an application.  When I test drove the Dieselpoint demo a
while back, I got the impression that I could build everythign in
Dieselpoint using Lucene -- but I wasn't convinced Dieselpoint capable of
everything I could build with Lucene

In the end, it comes down to priorities:

  1) Do you want an out of hte box solution with a fixed fature set that
     you pay money for?
  2) Do you want a library that you can use to build your own
     applications?

Incidently, if you haven't tried out Dieselpoints free downloadable demo
version, I suggest you give it a shot.  They've definitely made it easy to
use.  It comes with a sample application for a ficticous company, and
their admin interface makes it trivial to create you own index, and then
slurp files on your local box or crawl a site and then do searches against
it.  Alas: there doesn't seem to be any way to do faceted filtering from
the admin screen -- but i think they give you all the code you need to try
writting your own applicaiton to use your new index...

	http://www.dieselpoint.com/login.jsp

-Hoss