lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ravi" <ravi.jalada...@siti.com>
Subject RE: :how to add int fileds to lucene:
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:32:45 GMT
Hi Erik

Thanks for your solution. I want to do exactly what you have mentioned in
the mail . I would like to search on the fields what I have added to lucene
.That is search on  days and sort on those days value and moreover how to
add multiple field querys to lucene . I don't have any idea how to Query on
multiple fields .ex  searching on the candidate and days where days >5 and
candidate>10 or days >one month and so on.. Please give me the code or let
me know where I can find test programs so that I can complete my project.

Waiting for your reply....

Thanks
Ravi Kumar Jaladanki
408-328-6437

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 9:35 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: :how to add int fileds to lucene:

On Dec 12, 2005, at 8:10 AM, Ravi wrote:
> I am trying to add some fields to lucene and I heard that adding
> int values
> are going to give much faster retrieval than adding to String
> values. So I
> want to add int values to document . But
>

> document.add(Field.Text("Candidate", objResultSet.getString
> ("ROW_ID")));
>
> document.add(Field.Keyword("lastmodified",
> objResultSet.getDate("MODIFIED_ON")));
>
> document.add(Field.Text("days",days) );
>
> document.add(Field.Text("contents", objReader));
>

> Days are int but it is giving error . Please suggest me with the
> steps to
> add and search those integer fields

All stored field data in a Lucene index are Strings.  The performance
difference you may be referring to is with sorting results, not in
retrieval.

You will want to simply convert your int "days" into a String
(Integer.toString(days) will do the trick.  Careful with your
analyzer if you really do want days to be searchable/sortable.  Using
Field.Keyword() is probably more appropriate.

	Erik