lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dmitry Goldenberg" <dmitry.goldenb...@weblayers.com>
Subject Proximity searches and Porter stemming - ??
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:45:19 GMT
Hello,

I tried using Porter stemming in our application and it worked great except it broke the proximity
searches.  Is there any way at all that these two pieces of functionality could coexist peacefully?

I do not see any reason why they should not.  It seems to me that proximity query terms should
be stemmed by the engine, then the query executed.  Personally, I would not care much if the
following two proximity queries would bring back the same results:

"character encoding"~3
and
"characters encode"~3

I'd much rather they both returned the same results than no results at all, the latter being
the case I've observed.

Any recommendations?
Thanks,
- Dmitry