lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "John Powers" <jpow...@configureone.com>
Subject RE: Basic lucene usage
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:39:32 GMT
If you open an indexsearcher and keep a single indexsearcher open for
all sessions to use, then can an indexwriter delete the files and create
the new files as needed?

To start an indexsearcher, you pass in the directory.  Doesn't that tie
the searcher to the files?  So an indexwriter couldn't come along and
reindex (delete and recreate) the directory while the searcher has a
hold of those files..correct?

So if I have a single indexsearcher, if I want to recreate the index, I
would have to stop the indexsearcher, go through creating the index,
then get a new fsdirectory for a new indexsearcher, correct?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mordo, Aviran (EXP N-NANNATEK) [mailto:aviran.mordo@lmco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 12:19 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Basic lucene usage

Lucene is thread safe, it is recommended that you only have one
IndexSearcher instance. No problems with multiple searches on the same
IndexSearcher.

You can index while searching, as soon as you want the new entries to be
found by the IndexSearcher, just get a new instance of IndexSearcher

Aviran
http://www.aviransplace.com