lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: words with more than 1 hyphen ?
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:26:19 GMT

On Dec 7, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Beady Geraghty wrote:
> In general, do the rules in javaCC work pretty well.

In general, all answers would be too general to be useful :)

JavaCC is great - I'm using it for a custom query parser myself.  But
it's not for the feint of heart.  It may be more than you need, it
all depends.  The main thing StandardTokenizer does is keep e-mail
addresses intact, and a few other fiddly things.

If you provide us with some sample text and how you want that
tokenized, I'm sure we could offer suggestions.

>   Since
> there may be more requests  to be included punctuations
> in the search terms, so I have to keep modifying this .jj file.
> I wonder if there are things that I should watch out for before
> getting overly complicated and get stuck somewhere down the
> road ?

There are many pitfalls with JavaCC grammars.  It takes practice and
unit tests to get this stuff right.  The same could be said of any
style of tokenization.  Make lots of tests to ensure you don't break
expected behavior as you tweak.

	Erik