lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alan Chandler" <a...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
Subject Re: Confused about boolean query and how an IndexReader is associated with Hits
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:56:10 GMT
Erik Hatcher writes:

> On Dec 7, 2005, at 7:06 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
>
>> Erik Hatcher writes:
>>> You must keep your IndexSearcher instance alive and well when  working
>>> with Hits.  Hits internally uses the searcher to page  through results
>>> - it does not keep all results in memory.  I'm  not sure why you  aren't
>>> seeing all the documents you expect, but  if you package it up  as a
>>> simple RAMDirectory-using JUnit  TestCase then I'd be happy to  run it
>>> and see.
>>
>> mmm!  Going to have to rething my "Database" interface, so that I
>> actually get the page of results I need coupled with the search.
>> How do you get over the fact that the hits may be on several web  pages
>> and the user may go away between getting the hits and  actually
>> retrieving a document in detail.  Do you have to serialize  the searcher
>> and put it into a session?
>
> One option is to just carry along the key to the document, generally
> something unique like an "id" field.  When a request comes in for a
> document, it would pass it's document id, not the hit number.  Then
> simply search using a TermQuery for that document, or use IndexReader  to
> navigate to it.

Yes, I am doing all of that for the majority of what I am doing.  The tricky
one is getting an index of all my documents stored.  This could be more than
one pages worth.

But I found a copy of chapter 3 of your book on the web, where you recommend
that you re-do the query for each page (I assume by querying and then
calculating n based on page number and items_per_page to the call
hits.doc(n);

 --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk