lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Retriving the data from lucene
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:21:56 GMT

On Dec 14, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Ravi wrote:
> 1) I want to store all the details of the my data in the lucene and
> I want
> to retrieve from the lucene than storing in the database and
> retrieve that
> from database .Is this technique is good or bad  or any other
> solution to
> this type of  problem  Please suggest me.

This is one of those areas where it really depends.  It's fine to
store information in Lucene, but whether that is best for your
scenario really depends on the rest of your architecture.

> 2) I have one more problem is I want to retrieve the max 1000 docs
> from the
> search. How can I solve this problem .

Stop iterating Hits after 1000 :)   Or use one of the other .search
methods that allows you to specify (though this is entering expert-
level API area) or use a HitCollector.

> 3) I want to display page by page max 100.
> 	a) load all the data at a time and store in temp location and
> display 			1-100 ,101-200 and so on.... 900-1000.
> 	b)  load only first 1-00 and whenever user clicks next 100 I want to
> display next hundred by loading or searching again..

The first hit here gives you some best practices:

	http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=paging

The main idea is simply to re-search for each page, just picking up
the Hits iteration at the proper offset.  If that is not performant
enough, then it'd be time to seek another solution, but I've never
had to go there myself.

	Erik