lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dave Kor <dave...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: best strategy to deal with large index file
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 05:26:26 GMT
On 12/17/05, Jeff Liang <jeff@messagesolution.com> wrote:
> thanks for the reply.
> I'm indexing emails.  Fields are the common attribute on emails:
> subject, content, attachment, message size, date, sender, recipients,
> etc.  The index is a few GB.  Is there a good practice to keep the index
> file size at a certain level?
> when I do a search on the date field that should retrieve a lot of
> records, it normally throws the exception.
>
> I will look at MultiSearcher.  do you think split the index file based
> on date field is a good choice?  I somehow feel it requires a lot of
> coding to create many indexes based on date field.

A few GB is typically considered a small index for Lucene. Without
seeing the exception call stack, its kind of hard to understand
exactly what is causing the out of memory problem. Based on past
experience, the only times I ever encountered out of memory issues
were during large queries that contain a few phrase, wildcard or fuzzy
sub-queries.