lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Query Scoring
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:11:24 GMT
Sorry to contradict, Erik, but the Highlighter's QueryScorer will make
use of IDF, given a reader, in order to better prioritise which are the
"best" bits of a document.
However, In the particular example given, the criteria includes several
non-text fields which are not useful for IDF and general scoring
purposes - these are perhaps better expressed using a filter of some
form. Otherwise, why should the scarcity of a particular date in the
given range boost one matching document above others? These numeric-type
fields are simply mandatory boolean "hygiene factors" and  should
ideally play no part in highlight selection or results ordering in
general based on their IDF or TF.

Cheers,
Mark