lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Harini Raghavan <harini.ragha...@insideview.com>
Subject Query Scoring
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:02:01 GMT
Hi,

I have a requirement to highlight search keywords in the results and
display the matching fragment of the text with the results. I am using
the Hits highlighting mentioned in Lucene in Action.

Here is the search query(BooleanQuery) I am passing to the IndexSearcher
and QueryScorer:
+DocumentType:news
+(CompanyId:10 CompanyId:20 CompanyId:30 CompanyId:40)
+FilingDate:[20041201 TO 20051201]
+(Content:"cost saving" Content:"cost savings" Content:outsource
Content:outsources Content:downsize Content:downsizes
Content:restructuring Content:restructure)

I do not quite understand how the query scoring actually works & how
Inverse Document Frequency(IDF) calculations are useful?  Can
someone shed some light on this using the given query as an example?

Thanks,
Harini