lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Gaston <g...@artentis.com>
Subject Re: Problem Getting Started...
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:31:04 GMT
Hi,

I had the same problem at the beginning.

Try

java -classpath lucene-1.4-final.jar; lucene-demos-1.4-final.jar;
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index webindex docs

If this fails go in the org/apache/lucene/demo directory and compile
IndexHTML.java with the command
javac -classpath lucene-1.4-final.jar;lucene-demos-1.4-final.jar;
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML.java

and then retry the first step out of  this mail.

Greetings

Gaston

Erik Hatcher schrieb:

> Are you running the Sun JVM?  Or some other JVM?
>

>     Erik
>

> On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Federico Carbonetti wrote:
>
>> hello erik and hello everybody!

>>> ML?
>>>

>> Mailing List! ehehe! :)
>>
>> this morning i changed some settings for the PATH variabile, but I'm
>> still experiencing the same trouble. I tried to extract lucene
>> following the hints given in the appendix of "lucene in action" (I've
>> that book) but without success... I downloaded lucene-1.4-final.zip,
>> extracted to C:\lucene-1.4-final\ and updated the classpath of
>> windows. Somebody told me to set the JVM classpath by typing:
>>
>> java -cp lucene-1.4-final.jar; -jar lucene-demos-1.4-final.jar
>>
>> but I got the following message:
>> Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from lucene-demos-1.4-
>> final.jar
>>
>> While when i Try to set the classpath as suggested in the appendix
>> (java -cp lucene-1.4-final.jar; lucene-demos-1.4-final.jar) i got the
>> "usual" Exception in thread "main"...
>>
>> Does anybody know the solution to my problem please? :)
>>
>> Thanks again! Bye
>>

>>> Federico,
>>>
>>> I'm pasting below the relevant piece of the "Installing Lucene"
>>> appendix, I hope this helps.  At first glance, the environment and
>>> steps you described seemed fine, so I'm not sure what is awry.
>>>
>>> I hope the info below helps:
>>>
>>> Running the command-line demo
>>> The command-line Lucene demo consists of two command-line  programs:
>>> one
>>> that indexes a directory tree of files and another that provides a
>>> simple search
>>> interface. To run this demo, set your current working directory to
>>> the directory
>>> where the binary distribution was expanded. Next, run the IndexFiles
>>> program
>>> like this:
>>>
>>>    java -cp lucene-1.4.2.jar;lucene-demos-1.4.2.jar
>>> org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles docs
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> adding docs/queryparsersyntax.html
>>> adding docs/resources.html
>>> adding docs/systemproperties.html
>>> adding docs/whoweare.html
>>> 9454 total milliseconds
>>>
>>> This command indexes the entire docs directory tree (339 files in our
>>> case) into
>>> an index stored in the index subdirectory of the location where you
>>> executed
>>> the command.
>>>
>>> NOTE Literally every file in the docs directory tree is indexed,
>>> including .gif
>>> and .jpg files. None of the files are parsed; instead, each file is
>>> indexed
>>> by streaming its bytes into StandardAnalyzer.
>>>
>>> To search the index just created, execute SearchFiles in this manner:
>>>
>>>    java -cp lucene-1.4.2.jar;lucene-demos-1.4.2.jar
>>>                  org.apache.lucene.demo.SearchFiles
>>>
>>> Query: IndexSearcher AND QueryParser
>>> Searching for: +indexsearcher +queryparser
>>> 10 total matching documents
>>> 0. docs/api/index-all.html
>>> 1. docs/api/allclasses-frame.html
>>> 2. docs/api/allclasses-noframe.html
>>> 3. docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/class-use/Query.html
>>> 4. docs/api/overview-summary.html
>>> 5. docs/api/overview-tree.html
>>> 6. docs/demo2.html
>>> 7. docs/demo4.html
>>> 8. docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/package-summary.html