lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Keegan Callin ...@kcallin.net>
Subject Large Numeric RangeQueries
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:38:18 GMT
Hello and Good Day,

In my application of Lucene, I am must search through some fields that
contain numbers with very large ranges on the order of 150000 or so.
Suppose I wanted to retrieve all documents matching numbers
10000-150000.  On first inspection I tried a RangeQuery but, of course,
I quickly discovered that RangeQueries expand to boolean queries that
enumerate every element in their range.  In my case, it does not seem
realistic to enumerate all the possible values of the query range as
RangeQuery tries to do.

It has widely been suggested on the web and in in Gospodnetic &
Hatcher's venerable "Lucene In Action" that queries for date ranges be
reduced to simpler terms by more-or-less rounding the dates to the
minute, hour, or day.  Unfortunately, in my case the /whole/ number is
significant and I cannot round the numbers.  Has anyone some suggestions
as to how I might proceed?

Kindly,
Keegan Callin