lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alan Chandler <a...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
Subject Confused about boolean query and how an IndexReader is associated with Hits
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:38:42 GMT
I am trying to construct, via individual query api, a query to search for
documents with a field name of "Category" and a value of either "Category1"
OR "Category2" (or both).

My code to do this (given categories is the set of strings with the category
names I wish to search for) is as follows

		if (categories != null && !categories.isEmpty()) {
			for (String category : categories) {
				TermQuery t =new TermQuery(new Term("Category",category));
				query.add(t,false,false); //Saywould like that category
			}
		}

I have three documents in the index

Document 1 has zero fields called "Category"

Document 2 has one keyword  field called "Category" with value "Category1"

Document 3 has two keyword fields called "Category", one with a value of
"Category1" and the other with a value of "Category2"

When I run a search with the above query, I get only one hit instead of the
expected 2. (Hits.length()=1)

Worse than that, when I attempt to access Hits.doc(0) I am getting an
immediate IOException with the message "Bad file descriptor".  I think this
must be because by that time I have closed the indexSearcher (and therefore
the Reader that sat behind it).  Its not clear to me how hits are associated
with a reader.  Is it possible to close the reader and then re-open it later
to access a document with the hit?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk