lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Liang" <j...@messagesolution.com>
Subject best strategy to deal with large index file
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:33:39 GMT
Hi all,

my index file is huge because of large set of data.  when I do search, I
get outofmemory exception sometime.  I don't know what's usually causing
the outofmemory exception. Is it during the search
because of the index file is too big?  or because there are too many
hits?  memory exception just happens when I call
IndexSearcher.search().
it's also bad for backup because I can't do incremental backup after
adding new documents since I only have one big index file.

What's the best strategy to deal with large index file?  what's a good
way to split the index file?
I start jvm with 800MB.
thanks,

Jeff