lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>
Subject DistributingMultiFieldQueryParser and DisjunctionMaxQuery
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:44:46 GMT
On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:35 -0800, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Oh, BTW:  I just found the DisjunctionMaxQuery class, recently added it
> : seems. Do you think this query structure could benefit from using it
> : instead of the BooleanQuery?
>
> DisjunctionMaxQuery kicks ass (in my opinion), and It certainly seems like
> (from your query structure) it's something you might want to consider
> using, but I don't know thta it will sove the performance problems you're
> having -- I can't think of any situations in which DisjunctionMaxScorer
> could skip more docs/terms then DisjuntionSumScorer.

I've only had a quick play with it so this problem is probably down to
my misuse of the class but I found that negations weren't handled
properly. e.g.

fruit AND -apples

The DistributingMultiFieldQueryParser would correctly generate a query
that would find fruit in one of the fields, but would only ensure that
apples did not appear in one field, not not appear in all the fields,
which was the behaviour I wanted. Hence negations didn't really work if
the term appeared in more than one field.

Cheers,
Miles