lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dan Climan" <dcli...@keepmedia.com>
Subject Impact of Term Vectors (was ApacheCon next week)
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:40:40 GMT
Good question. I was wondering about the impact of adding term vectors with
the various options. For example, is adding term vectors with both positions
and offsets a significant impact? Which current parts of lucene (including
contributions) take advantage of term vectors being present? I know that
Highlighter class can make use of them if present.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Rodenburg [mailto:jeff.rodenburg@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 9:08 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: ApacheCon next week

Well done, Grant.  Very informative.

Question on Term Vectors: with their inclusion in an index, have you noticed
any degradation in performance, either from a search effiiciency or
maintenance point-of-view?  Given the power of term vectors, if the perf
impact is negligible, I'm curious to the reasons why one would NOT include
term vectors in any and every index...

cheers,