lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Funk <...@danandtamara.com>
Subject Re: I Need System Design Suggestion. Please.
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:09:12 GMT
I've run through exactly the same train of thought. Php is an efficient and
effective web development language - Java provides excellent libraries for
developing powerful business logic layer. Wouldn't it be nice to couple the
two together? The answer is no, it would suck. You end up with some cluster
of PHP, Java, XML configuration files, and then on top of it JavaScript and
css and whatizit. It's a long dark road that ends in a big pile of deserted
projects no one wants to lay claim to.

Doing the right thing requires that you learn to use the right tools. I'd
say if you are committed to using Lucene and Hibernate, you should say the
course and learn how to develop servlets. If you want to develop in a LAMP
framework, then find tools that will allow for object/relational mappings
and full text indexing within that framework. If you suddenly look up from
your code to discover no one else seem to be trying what your trying, you
better be working on a shockingly brilliant idea, otherwise your doing
something wrong.