lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Oren Shir <sho...@gmail.com>
Subject reusing MultiSearcher vs. reusing contained IndexSearchers
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:45:27 GMT
Hi,
I'm searching several indexes combinations on random. Which method is
better:

1) Keep one IndexSearcher for each index, and create a new MultiSearcher for
each request according to the combination needed.
2) Keep one MultiSearcher with the scope of all the indexes, and pay the
toll of searching irrelevant indexes.
3) Keep each combination of MultiSearchers.

Any other thoughts?

The reason I need this is that the indexes differ in time range of stored
data and scope of content, all of which I know before the query. Should I
step out of the box and just store everything in one huge index? It will
solve this problem, but probably will create a hundred more...

Thanks,
Oren Shir